Instagram is constantly adding new features to keep its app exciting and safe for users everywhere. More recently, the photo-sharing app made it possible for people to choose to hide likes on their own posts and on other accounts.
Instagram has rolled out the feature, as concerns are growing about social media platforms contributing to low self-esteem and feelings of inadequacy in the younger population.
If you’re interested in “taking the pressure off,” this article shows you how you can hide likes using one of three easy methods.
How to Hide Like Counts for Instagram Accounts
To prevent users from constantly comparing their posts to others that receive thousands of likes, Instagram now allows users to hide like counts from other accounts. You can only activate the feature through the Instagram mobile app.
1. Open Instagram on your mobile device.
2. Tap the small profile picture at the bottom right of the screen.
3. Tap the hamburger menu in the top right corner.
4. Select Settings at the bottom.
5. In the Settings menu, tap Privacy.
6. Go to Posts.
7. Activate the first option that appears in the list: “Hide likes and see counts.”
8. With this option enabled, you will not see the total number of Likes or Views (in the case of videos) when browsing a profile.
Now you can enjoy some peace of mind and really focus on connecting with people on the social app instead of just thinking in terms of likes. When you’re ready to see your like counts again, simply go back over the steps above and turn off “Hide Likes and See Counts.”
How to hide likes on your own posts
Ready to take things a step further? Instagram also allows you to hide likes on your own posts. This can be done per post, so you can choose to leave Likes on for select posts. Users will still be able to see the number of likes their posts receive, but it will be a private matter.
You can hide likes for images you have already posted by following these steps:
1. Find a post and tap the three-dot menu in the top right corner of the post.
2. Select the “Hide Like Count” option from the pop-up menu at the bottom.
3. The like count is now invisible to others. You, on the other hand, can still see the likes.
4. Now go back to the post and tap on the “Other” button to see its likes.
5. As you can see, they are now only visible to you.
If you are about to make a new post and you already know that you don’t want likes to appear on your profile, you can prevent this from happening.
1. When you are in the caption writing panel for your new post, tap “Advanced Settings” at the bottom of the page.
2. Turn on the “Hide Likes and View Counts on this Post” option to make any likes you receive private.
Instagram began rolling out this feature as part of an extended test last month. If you don’t see these options on your Instagram yet, try searching for them on another account or have a little patience. The feature may be available to you soon enough.
Instagram can be super fun if used the right way, but what happens when the app crashes and stops working? Find out how to fix it by reading our full list of solutions. Alternatively, you might want to get up to speed on how to use Instagram Reels with Remix.