If you have blocked someone on instagram for any reason, and now you want to unblock that account. Blocking can be a great way to prevent someone from see your posts temporarily, but it works better if you also set your account to private.
Let’s take a look at how blocking people works in instagram, and how to unblock people on instagram both on the web and on mobile devices.
How does blocking/unblocking work on Instagram?
When you block a user on instagram, prevents you from:
- View your posts and stories
- I find you using the search tool
- Contact you via private message
- I follow you (when you block someone, they automatically unfollow them)
The content of the accounts you have blocked will be hidden. Any posts you liked from that profile will also be hidden until you unblock that user again, at which point their likes will return. Remember: if you block a user but leave their account public, you only need to log out of instagram to see your posts again.
To change your account privacy settings:
- On iOS and Android: Tap on your profile tab, then tap the three-dot menu icon. From here, select Account Privacy and activate the option Private account .
- In the web: log in Instagram.com and click on your profile icon in the upper left corner. Click the Settings icon (the one that looks like a gear) then select Privacy & Security and activate the option Private account
When you unblock someone, they’ll be able to see your posts and stories, find you again, and send you messages. However, they won’t automatically follow you again, so you’ll need to notify them if you want them to.
How to unblock on Instagram using iPhone or Android
If you know the name of the account you have blocked, first, search for the account using the search bar. Tap the name to open the profile, then tap the three-dot menu icon in the corner of the screen. Choose To unlock from the menu that appears.
You will be asked to confirm your decision, press To unlock to do it. Depending on your device and the current app version, you can also press the blue button To unlock big on the profile page too.
How to unblock an account on Instagram
While using the web version of instagram, Find the user you want to unblock. You may find that your name appears lower in search results than other similar account names. If you know your exact name, you can go to instagram.com/username (replacing username with the account username).
Now you can click the three point account menu button, then choose Unblock this user or press the blue button To unlock big . You will be asked to confirm your decision, press To unlock to do it.
How to see a list of Instagram users you’ve blocked
If you unblock accounts on Instagram, but can’t remember a user’s name, or just want to check your block list, you can do so from an iOS or Android device. There’s no way to access your block list from the web, yet.
Start instagram and select your profile tab. Tap the three-dot menu button in the top corner, then choose Blocked accounts . Tap on an account to view it, then unlock it using the instructions described above.
How to unblock someone who has also blocked you
The old “double lock” makes it harder to unblock someone, but there are a few ways around it. It works best if you know the name of the account, assuming the name hasn’t changed:
- Compose a new direct message for you, include the @ name of user of the account you want to unblock in the body of the message. Once submitted, tap the username and unlock as normal.
- Login using a web browser at Instagram.com then type instagram.com/ Username , replace username with the name of the account you want to unlock. When you see the profile, unblock it as usual.
Remember to follow unlocked accounts again!
When you block an account, you automatically unfollow that account. If you’ve decided to unblock someone and want to start seeing their posts again, you’ll need to go back to their profile and follow them again.