- What is Instagram collaboration?
- How to create a collaborative post on Instagram
- How to accept a collaboration request on Instagram
- How to stop your collaboration on Instagram
- Frequent questions
- 1. I can’t add certain collaborators; What I can do?
- 2. I can’t find the function. What I can do?
- 3. Can I try something else if Instagram Collab is not available in my region?
Instagram is constantly adding new features to the app in a bid to make it even more attractive to its users. For example, the photography-focused app recently introduced the option to collaborate on a post or Reel with a fellow Instagram user. This way, the duo can easily share the content with their combined followers without having to individually post the same image or video to their respective accounts. This article shows you how you can use Instagram Collab to easily create a collaborative post or Reel on your mobile device.
What is Instagram collaboration?
Instagram Collab allows you to collaborate with another Instagram user on posts and Reels so that both users are credited as authors of the post or Reel. While the feature is primarily aimed at creators and businesses, the app has no restrictions in this regard, so people with regular accounts can also try the feature if they wish.
Please note that when using this feature, at this time, you can only add a single contributor to your post. Additionally, the collaboration post option will only appear on public accounts, but you can accept an invitation to collaborate even if you have a private account. Additionally, collaborative post creation is only available on mobile devices and not the desktop app.
How to create a collaborative post on Instagram
Let’s take a look at how to use Instagram Collab.
- Open your Instagram on your mobile device.
- Tap the “+” button located in the upper right corner.
- Select what type of content you want to create. Note that you can’t collaborate on a story or live, so your options here are post and reel only.
- If you selected “Publish,” go ahead and choose the images you want to publish, then select the Next arrow.
- Add filters or edit the image(s), then press the Next arrow.
- On the “New Post” page, tap the “Tag People” option.
- Tap the “Invite a Collaborator” option below the image.
- In the bar above, look for the person you want to collaborate with.
- Tap the account name to make them a contributor to the post.
- A request will be sent to the person you selected. If they accept, the post will be shared with their followers and they will also be shown as the author of the post.
- If you selected “Reel”, the process is quite similar. Simply record your video, add effects and edit it, then use the “Tag People” feature to add a collaborator.
How to accept a collaboration request on Instagram
Once you’ve added someone as a collaborator to your post or reel, the person in question will receive a request to join your efforts. Follow these instructions to accept an invitation with Instagram Collab.
- You should receive a notification from Instagram on your phone once you’ve been “tagged in a post.”
- Tap the notification to go directly to the app.
- If you didn’t receive the notification, check your DMs. Open the Instagram app, then tap the Messages icon in the top right corner.
- You should notice a new message from the person who is trying to add you. Tap it to open it, then on the “View invitation” button.
- You will be taken to the post that the other creator shared with you. Tap the “Review” button below the image.
- Accept or reject the request.
- If you accept the request, both of your usernames will be displayed as the authors of the post.
How to stop your collaboration on Instagram
If, for any reason, you want to stop your collaboration, you can easily do so. All you need are a few simple steps on Instagram Collab.
- Go to the post in question in the Instagram app.
- Tap the three-dot menu in the top right corner of the screen.
- Select “Stop Sharing” from the options.
- Confirm that you want to stop sharing.
- A message that says: “You have removed yourself as a contributor on this post.” should appear at the bottom of the screen.
Please note that either party may choose to stop collaborating at any time.
The interesting thing is that even if you use this option, the other person will still be tagged in the post, but will no longer be shown as a co-author. The content will remain only on the profile of the person who sent the invitation.
To remove the person completely, you’ll need to tap the three dots, as you did above, and select “Tag Options” instead, then “Remove me from post.”
1. I can’t add certain collaborators; What I can do?
Some accounts may not allow other users to tag them. Before adding your collaborator, you may need to talk to the user in question and convince them to modify their settings in this regard. You need to go to “Settings -> Privacy -> Posts -> Allow tags from” and select allow everyone to tag you or only the people you follow.
2. I can’t find the function. What I can do?
If you can’t see the option and you’ve already checked to make sure it’s not a private account, the feature is fairly new, so it may not be available in your region yet. Give it a little time, and it may appear. You can also try updating your app to see if it is available.
3. Can I try something else if Instagram Collab is not available in my region?
Sure, you can remix Instagram Reels. This is another way to collaborate with others, as it allows you to upload a clip next to another user’s clip. Learn how you can remix Reels on Instagram by reading our detailed tutorial, which details all the steps for you.
Collaborations can add some energy to your online activities. Read on to learn how to create a Blend playlist on Spotify with another user and start streaming on Discord to friends and servers.